The OACAO is a recognized leader in the development of quality services, resources and supports for our network of community based older adult centres.
The Association was first organized in 1973 as the Senior Citizens Centres’ Association of Ontario (SCCAO) based on the common concerns of those working in Seniors’ Centres. In 1982, the Association was incorporated under the name of the Older Adult Centres’ Association of Ontario as a not for profit corporation with Charitable Status.
The OACAO is extremely proud to have started the Ontario Senior Games program in Ontario in 1983 and to have been directly affiliated with the OSGA until 1995 when the OSGA established their own office. Older adult centres in Ontario are active in the senior games program through the promotion, development and operation of senior games events.
What We Provide
The OACAO provides the following services to our member centres and organizations:
- Ongoing liaison and advocacy with government and other provincial associations in matters which affect older adult centres and older adults
- Education programs for members through Regional Workshops and Webinars
- A Newsletter which promotes the exchange of information and ideas among the members
- An Annual Provincial Conference with speakers, workshops, a Trade Show and resources
- Facilitation of inter-centre visits
- Valuable networking with others who work in older adult centres
- Older Adult Centre Evaluation Resources
- Resource materials
- Email Listserv program that provides up to the minute information