Benefits to Membership in the Older Adult Centres'
Association of Ontario
Membership Application Form
here to get a form
The OACAO is a recognized leader in the development of quality services, resources and supports for our network of community-based older adult centres.
By joining the OACAO as a member organization, you instantly become connected to a vast array of resources that you can access for your group or association. This includes funding opportunities, learning opportunities, access to an affordable employee benefit plan (OASSIS), and one of the best annual conferences in Ontario. Even smaller centres can benefit greatly from membership. Our active website directs you to business partners, provides up-to-date information and helps you find answers to your questions. Here’s an overview of OACAO member benefits:
- A vast network of staff and volunteers is available to help with your questions. You can keep better informed about older adults’ issues and interests at regional and provincial levels.
- Four seasonal newsletters bring you up-to-date on matters of interest and concern as well as member news during the year. As a member, you are invited to contribute and highlight your Centre’s activities and achievements in the newsletter.
- Our website, www.oacao.org provides instant access to electronic information as well as useful contacts. It also provides you with links to other organizations, our business partners and some major strategic alliances.
DIRECT HELP AND ADVICE
- The OACAO provides you with a members-only List Serve that gives you instant access to more than 400 individuals who work in the field of older adults. You can share issues and concerns; send out questions and receive responses and receive up-to-the-minute, useful information.
- To help you develop knowledge and skills for your volunteers and staff, the OACAO offers numerous opportunities. The workshops and seminars provided at our annual conference have passed along cutting edge information and idea regeneration for many years. They are also excellent venues for dialogue and networking. We also provide workshops at regional and local levels. As active participants in the conference and workshops and also as speakers, members hone their own skills.
DEVELOPMENT SUPPORT AND RESOURCES
- For 40+ years, the OACAO has encouraged the development of new Older Adult Centres in Ontario by providing advice, information and resources.
- We also provide you with useful, comprehensive information on centre management, design and operation.
- You can obtain valuable resource materials and publications supporting development from us, including:
- Older Adult Centres’ Profile (updated every two years); statistical data
- Building Bridges to Tomorrow: A User Profile of Older Adult Centres in Ontario
- OACAO Toolbox at www.oacao.ca containing useful resources on Volunteer Management, Fundraising and Engaging Baby Boomers in older adult centres.
STRATEGIC LIAISONS AND NETWORKING
- The OACAO is the voice of older adult centres as both liaison and advocate with:
- Ontario Minister Responsible for Seniors
- Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat
- The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care
- Canada’s Minister for State (Seniors)
- On your behalf, we also maintain effective strategic alliances with other important provincial organizations:
- Ontario Community Support Association
- Active Living Coalition for Older Adults (ALCOA)
- Alzheimer Society of Ontario
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Ontario Division
- Hike Ontario
- For member centres, we provide recognition and certificates for special occasions and milestones.
- We promote your organization in the OACAO Membership Directory and on our website.
- Members can access our Awards Program that recognizes outstanding contributions in the field of older adults by fellow practitioners, volunteers and students.
- In 1983, the OACAO was instrumental in creating the Ontario Senior Games program which involves Centres in the role of organizing, promoting and running the games to this day.
- OACAO provides access to a very affordable Group Benefit Program (OASSIS). OASSIS is a Not-for-Profit Employee Benefit Plan for Community-Based Organizations. Agencies with as few as 1 employee can access the program. The OACAO is one of the original Core Sponsoring Associations of OASSIS and continues to have representation on their Board of Trustees.
FUNDING SUPPORT AND OTHER BENEFITS
- On your behalf, we apply for funding and grants to develop new programs and initiatives that can be delivered through centres. We are proud to have been able to obtain the financial support of the Ontario Seniors’ Secretariat to fund Seniors Information and Active Living Fairs for several years.
- The OACAO has worked hard to have changes made to the Elderly Persons Centres Grant, resulting in substantial increases in 1988, 2008-9, and 2009-10. We have also helped bring centres developed after 1992 off the waiting list for approval and, in 2008-9, saw full funding restored to centres affected by 1992 cutbacks.
- We were responsible for obtaining a one-time 1.5 % grant to the EPC sector in 2006 that recognized the outstanding work of Older Adult Centres across the province.
- We are worked closely with the Ontario Seniors' Secreteriat (OSS) as the EPC transitioned from MOHLTC to OSS.
As you can see, the OACAO is an active, vital organization working to help you provide the best experience for the members of your centre or organization. If you are still undecided about becoming a member, give us a call at 905-584-8125 or 1-866-835-7693 to discuss it further.
Membership Categories and Fees
Effective April 1, 2016 through March 31, 2017
The OACAO is a recognized leader in the development of quality services, resources and supports for our network of community based older adult centres.
Full Member Centre
Any older adult centre or senior centre in Ontario that acts as a community facility providing a diversity of activities and services to the local older adult population.
|$1 - $50,000
|$50,001 to $150,000
|$150,001 - $350,000
|$350,001 - $500,000
|$500,001 - $750,000
|$750,000 or more
NEW Full Centre Membership CATEGORIES:
- Multiple Centre Membership $800
Note: Maximum of 3 centres under the same administration included
- Introductory Rate - Full Member Centres
- 1st time joining OACAO $250
Associate Agency Membership Fee
is $250 per year
- Any agency, other than an older adult centre or
senior centre, involved in work with older adults.
- Municipal Recreation Department:
a) That does not have a dedicated older adult centre or
b) That provides recreation programs to the general older adult
Service Provider / Club Membership
Fee is $125 per year
- Any person involved in work with older adults
- Any senior citizens club
Individual - Membership Fee is
$75 per year
Any student/volunteer/senior/friend interested in
the work of the OACAO
How to find a Centre near you
Member centres are located in the Membership
OACAO GST No. 125123471
Charitable No. 0692988-59-15
Non-Profit No. 50913
Contact us for more information